Steve Hall wrote:
:help linebreak documents that it "is not used when...'list' is on"
but this means that toggling &list shifts the text. I noticed this is
on the ToDo:

  7   Make 'list' and 'linebreak' work together.

Is this a difficult fix?

With 'list', tabs can be represented as ^I (if 'listchars' does not include "tab:") or as the "right" number of characters (if it does).

With 'linebreak' and 'wrap', virtual spaces are added in the middle of long lines to make them wrap at a 'breakat' character.

I suppose the second case has more import than the first, and would require an additional suboption in 'listchars' to optionally represent those virtual spaces as other than spaces.