Steve Hall wrote:
Does anyone here know if Vim respects the following Unicode characters
(represents them rather than just indicating literals):

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline#Unicode

I'm not on a Unicode platform at the moment, but I'm wondering if Vim
could ever have the &listchars to do it like mined:

  http://towo.net/mined/mined-uni.png

Vim is a text editor, not a word processor. It does not necessarily show control characters as a word processor or a printer would. Even on a non-Unicode platform, you should be able to run a +multibyte version of gvim, set 'encoding' to UTF-8 while preserving the "locale" setting of 'encoding' in 'termencoding', and enter the characters according to ":help i_CTRL-V_digit" to see what happens.

NEL (Next Line, 0x85) is an upper-ASCII control character. I expect Vim to represent it as <85> when 'encoding' is set to UTF-8. This, however, depends on the setting of the 'isprint' option. I don't know what this control character means.

FF (Form Feed, 0x0C) is an ASCII control character; it should be represented as ^L in Unicode just as in Latin1. When sent to a printer, it usually causes a page eject.

LS (Line Separator, L SEP, U+2028) and PS (Paragraph Separator, P SEP, U+2029) are "Format characters" according to Unicode http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf . They are followed in the charts by "Left-to-Right Embedding", "Right-to-Left Embedding", "Pop Directional Formatting" etc. I don't expect Vim to handle them otherwise than any other character, i.e., fetch a glyph, if any (probably none) from your 'guifont'. In my Gnome2 gvim with 'encoding' set to UTF-8, both U+2028 and U+2029 display as single-width spaces.