Steve Hall wrote:
[...]
It would be a lot to ask of any text editor to respect these new
Unicode formatting characters. But I do think the authors of the spec
intended these to be additions to the traditional CR and LF. I've been
involved in a "why can't Vim do X, editor Y can do it" discussion, so
my interest here is not actually using these chars myself. But there
are likely some cases where they will be useful, more and more as
software adopts Unicode. I'd personally only care that &listchars has
an option for them, on screen they act the same as any other line
ending or tab char.

Well, they don't. The only recognised line ending in Vim is the OS-specific one: CR on the Mac, LF under Unix, CR+LF on Windows. IIUC, in Unicode the use of embedded format characters is deprecated in favour of markup, e.g. in HTML <span dir="rtl">...</span> rather than LRE ... PDF, <P>...</P> rather than P-SEP, etc.