Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
[...]
Hi Tony, hi Yakov!
 I looked throught the term/terminfo/termcap/xterm/rxvt/* stuff and
 have more questions than answers now.

 Do you know a document or HowTo or something linke that which will
 give me more closer informations about the term* handling in linux
 and/or its terminal emulations ?

 For example: Is it generally impossible to switch the cusor's _shape_
 (not only its color!) from bar to block and back inside the console
 version (gvim started as vim but with --enable-gui compile) of vim
 with t_SI/t_EI ???

Thank you very much for you help in advance! mcc

t_SI and t_EI are nonstandard codes added by Vim; IIUC they both default to empty. In the Windows console, the height (but not the width) of the cursor can be set with the 'guicursor' option; in Linux I don't know whether it is possible to change the cursor shape in the console, or how to do it. It will probably vary from terminal to terminal. My Gnome2 gvim, when started as "vim", always displays a block cursor in konsole, an underbar cursor in /dev/tty.