Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

I faced a problem, though it is with netrw, not with vim syntax file. I
tried to open the download link from Vim, and got the below error:

Error detected while processing function netrw#NetRead:
line  275:
"http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/syntax/vim.vim.gz"; E212: Can't open
file for writing
"VIG3A4.tmp.gz" [+][Not edited] --No lines in buffer--
Error detected while processing function netrw#NetRead..<SNR>115_NetGetFile:
line   42:
E37: No write since last change (add ! to override)
"http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/syntax/vim.vim.gz"; [+][Not edited]
--No lines in buffer--
Error detected while processing function gzip#read:
line   31:
Error: Could not read uncompressed file
"VIJ3A7.tmp.gz" [Not edited] --No lines in buffer--

I got an empty buffer, and when I reloaded the buffer, it worked fine. I
am on windows.

In addition to the various fixes concerning tmp files and windows, another similar problem has been solved; apparently, having autowrite on caused trouble. The latest netrw now bypasses that option, too. (v107c). Its currently available at my website: http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimFuncs ,
see "Network Oriented Reading, Writing, and Browsing".

Regards,
Chip Campbell