Hello A.J.Mechelynck,

>?In all 8-bit encodings, "\xe4" is (IIUC) whatever is represented in that
>?encoding by the byte 0xe4, which is usually a valid character. In Unicode
>?(always internally UTF-8 in Vim) 0xE4 is not a valid character, unless it is
>?followed by exactly two bytes (no more, no less) in the range 0x80-0xBF,
>?because UTF-8 codepoints are represented by one to six bytes each, and these
>?bytes are as follows:
>?0x00-0x7F: standalone byte
>?0x80-0xBF: trailing byte (any byte but the first, in a multibyte sequence)
>?0xCO-0xDF: leading byte of a two-byte sequence
>?0xE0-0xEF: leading byte of a three-byte sequence
>?0xF0-0xF7: leading byte of a four-byte sequence
>?0xF8-0xFB: leading byte of a five-byte sequence
>?0xFC-0xFD: leading byte of a six-byte sequence
>?0xFE-0xFF: invalid

>?I don't know how "\xe4" tests in non-Unicode multibyte encodings such as those
>?used for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.

Some minutes before,when I test the "bug" somewhere else, after I set
"ignorecase" and "encoding" to utf-8 ,nothing went wrong. The result of the
expression " echo ("\xe4"=="\xe4") " was 1

Before that,I have deleted all temp files and config files then reinstalled the
VIM, and I did the same thing on my computer but the result was quite different.

After all, Thank you for your help :)

>?Best regards,
>?Tony.

 mbbill                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]