On Tue 12-Dec-06 4:43pm -0600, Jeffrey Robertson wrote:

> A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

>> I'm not sure; I think it's something in the registry. Maybe the install
>> program should do it. Have you installed Vim from Steve Hall's
>> self-installer
>> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=
>> 39721
>> ? If you haven't, try doing it.

> I've now done this, and it's improved things but not fixed them.
>
> I get the "open with vim" option in my right-click menu, and this
> launches
> the file into gvim, so that's good.  But if I simply double click, it
> launches to regular vim.  That is, it opens what looks like a shell
> window and tries to open the file.  It gets confused by spaces in the
> path, so it never actually succeeds in opening the file.
>
> If it go to "Open With..." and specify "Vi Improved - A Text Editor",
> I get the same results.  How can I make "Open With" launch to gvim?
>
> For those joining the discussion late, I'm using Windows XP.

Like most of you on Win XP, I build my own Vim and Gvim (for
Gvim I specify OLE=yes).  From Windows Explorer, when I
click on a .txt file, Gvim comes up for the file.

I just tried clicking on a .vim file and received a dialog
(see ONEofTWO.gif) telling me that Windows cannot open the
file and asking me to search the web or select the program
from a list.  I picked select the program and got a second
dialog.

That dialog (see TWOofTWO.gif) let me pick Gvim and check
the box to use Gvim for all .vim files.

After performing these two tasks, Windows Explorer now opens
Gvim whenever I click on a .vim file.

I created a directory name with spaces and put a file in
there with spaces in its name and ending with .vim - it
opened fine from explorer.

[Without the attached GIFs]

Bill