Devan Goodwin wrote:
Greetings, I'm having a very strange problem with vim when composing
text documents. (e-mail etc, I don't see the problem when writing
code)

It's somewhat hard to describe, but when typing the display appears to
back up or stop moving, the text color looks kind of inverted, and
characters sort of appear twice for a word or so. Backspacing and
retying the exact same thing corrects the problem, saving and
reopening the file also, it is purely a display problem, but highly
irritating as I can't detect typos or read coherently. It happens
quite frequently when typing, maybe once every couple lines.

A screenshot does it more justice than my description:

http://dgoodwin.dangerouslyinc.com/files/vim-problem.png

This is just me typing "I've got" once.

I'm using Vim 7, I don't think I've seen this before on any other
versions. I'm running Fedora Core 6 and have replicated the problem on
both my desktop and laptop, both running x86_64.

I'm not certain, but I don't seem to be able to make the problem
happen when I remove "filetype plugin indent on" from my .vimrc. Of
course, then my text stops autowrapping. The problem also seems to
only be present with console vim, not gvim.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Devan

This sounds like a bad termcap entry. Changing 'term' and/or toggling 'ttybuiltin' might, or mightn't, help you solve your problem: I don't know much about console terminals.

There's little in taking or giving,
        There's little in water or wine:
This living, this living, this living,
        Was never a project of mine.
Oh, hard is the struggle, and sparse is
        The gain of the one at the top,
For art is a form of catharsis,
        And love is a permanent flop,
And work is the province of cattle,
        And rest's for a clam in a shell,
So I'm thinking of throwing the battle --
        Would you kindly direct me to hell?
                -- Dorothy Parker