> Wow! Ok. the first seems clear enough, but a little tedious for the
> number of lines I have (it's delimited text, so I could always note
> the line number, %, note the line number, then use that search).
>
> The latter seems like dark magic. I'll meditate upon it while
> consulting the book of :help
>
> Thanks for the super speedy reply!

It's only magic until you understand it :)

It basically uses the control+R followed by the equals-sign to
insert the evaluation of expressions to determine the lines just
outside your selection:

        :help c_CTRL-R_=

The expressions are

        line("'<")-1

(the number of the line before the start of the selection) and

        line("'>")+1

(the number of the line after the end of the selection)

So it just is inserting those line numbers into the {} blocks in:

        \%>{start-1}l\%<{end+1}l

with some escaping of things like back-slashes and less-than signs.

Hope this helps pull back the mystery of the line-noise above.

-tim