On 3/20/07, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
cga2000 wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:50:12PM EST, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> "more" shows the colors with no problem. In general, I use:
>> - less
>>   - when there is a long listing which I want to be able to scroll back and
>> forth, or to search with a / command
>>   - not when there are interspersed ANSI-like escape sequences as in "ls
>> --color".
>
> [OT]
>
> You could try "less -R".
>
> Works for me, although a quick look at the man page suggests this might
> not work under all circumstances: ".. tries to keep track .."
>
> In any case I have aliased "b" as in "browse" to "less -R -M" and never
> had a problem.
>
> Thanks,
> cga

Hey, nice! I'm going to alias "less" with "/usr/bin/less -R" in my bash
startup scripts.

Megaton Man:    "LOOK at them!  Helpless, tender creatures, relying on
                ME, waiting for ME to make my move!"

(from below):   "Move your ASS, Fat-head!"

Megaton Man:    "It is a MANDATE, and I am DUTY BOUND to OBEY!"

Another thing worth trying if you use something like zsh that supports
global aliases is:

alias -g L=" | less -R"

which makes it so you can do:

ls L

Nifty, but if you use zsh, you probably already know that ;-)

-fREW