Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
This happened to me always by mistake and what happened today was the
worst. Forgetting that I have copied large amount of text into the
clipboard, I tried to paste it at the search prompt using ^R* and this
caused Vim to hang for a very long time and pressing ^C had no effect.
I remember that Vim used to crash when a large amount of text is pasted
this way, but I think that problem is now fixed, though I think a better
behavior is needed, e.g.,
- Stop and give error after reaching some limit
- Detect ^C and stop.

Any comments?

Ctrl-C ought to be detected, but some users (especially Vim newbies on Windows) remap it to "yank to clipboard". You might want to try Ctrl-Break, which also (IIRC) has the property that (at the keyboard interrupt driver level) it empties the keyboard buffer (of waiting keys).

Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming:
        Never test for an error condition you don't know how to
handle.