>> Somehow it never occured to me that I could view and edit
>> the contents of a recording. Of course, it's just a
>> register, so I pasted the register; edited the contents;
>> then yanked the lines back into the register... and
>> naturally this worked fine.
>
> This is going to be immensely useful! Thanks for the heads up

In addition, sometimes it's difficult to pull the exact
(modified) contents of the register back into the register so it
maintains the desired effect.  I find this the case when the
macro has multiple line-breaks in it.  However, I've found that I
can tweak them by doing things like

        :let @a=substitute(@a, 'foo', 'bar', '')

if I want to correct "foo" to "bar" in my macro.  It also helps
when you're using a macro to do one thing that you know you'll be
doing the exact-same recorded process, but using some other piece
of text.  It's a little more difficult to change
control-sequences, but for simple text-replacements, I find that
it is more predictable and still fairly easy to do.

Just another oddball tip for abusing vim. :)

-tim