David Fishburn wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: A.J.Mechelynck [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 6:42 PM
To: Charles E Campbell Jr
Cc: Waters, Bill; vim@vim.org
Subject: Re: gVim and Cygwin

Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
Waters, Bill wrote:

Does anyone have experience with running gVim and using Cygwin commands (ex. indent)? I would prefer not to run vim in a Cygwin terminal, unless someone has all of the configurations
needed (syntax
highlighting, etc) to have that act like gVim.
I generally compile both gvim and vim under cygwin, and haven't run into any problems. I haven't used indent, though. The problems I generally have had have been with Windows' paths and trying to get netrw to understand them properly, but that's not because
of gvim and cygwin.
If you already have cygwin, just get vim 7.0 source, and go to its source directory.

gmake -f Make_cyg.mak

will make gvim.exe by default. Edit Make_cyg.mak, and
change GUI=yes
to GUI=no, and type the same command above. That way you'll get vim.exe. Its really quite straightforward!

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Make_cyg.mak uses Cygwin tools to (cross-) compile a native-Windows Vim or gvim which doesn't need Cygwin to run and doesn't understand the POSIX paths of cygwin. It won't interface easily with Cygwin bash (or any other Cygwin program for that matter).

To compile a Unix-like "Vim for Cygwin" you must use the top-level Makefile or the src/Makefile which will invoke a configure step. If configure finds the necessary headers and libraries it may compile a GUI version of Vim, which will need Cygwin to run, and X11 to display a GUI.

Hmm, based on your response and Gary's (libncurses-devel) and this post:

I ran the following:
cd /c/OpenSrc/vim7/src
./configure \
        --prefix=/usr \
        --sysconfdir=/etc \
        --libexecdir='$(sbindir)' \
        --localstatedir=/var \
        --datadir='$(prefix)/share' \
        --enable-multibyte \
        --without-x \
        --enable-gui=no

This results in:
./configure: line 3: $'\r': command not found
auto/configure: line 11: $'\r': command not found
auto/configure: line 19: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'
auto/configure: line 19: `elif test -n "${BASH_VERSION+set}" && (set -o
posix) >'dev/null 2>&1; then
./configure: line 6: $'\r': command not found
./configure: line 11: syntax error: unexpected end of file

I have never tried this before, I am wondering if it is related to dos line
endings?

Could be. Try converting all of those to Unix line endings, e.g. with something like (untested)

make distclean
vim -u NONE -N -cmd "set ffs= ff=dos" src/* -c "bufdo setlocal ff=unix|w" -c q

I pulled the source from a win32 SVN client.  It is the same directory I
compile for win32 from.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Brain, v. [as in "to brain"]:
        To rebuke bluntly, but not pointedly; to dispel a source of
error in an opponent.