Hi,

 I did th3 follwing: With a program, which generates random numbers in
 different formats, I created a file, which consists of _one_ line of
 2097152 characters ("0"-"9","A"-"F").

 To split the line into lines of 72 characters each, I started vim and
 let it read the file.

 I postioned the cursor at position 0 and entered the following in
 normal mode:

 Then I did a

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 After only 10 or 15 (guessed) executions of the macro the system
 freezes while constantly swapping (?) and became unuseable and did no
 longer respond.

 Even the mouse pointer was nearly unmoveable...

 After heavily and constantly trying I managed to kill the X-session
 and to 'killall -9 vim' from the console to get back my computer.

 I am using an up-to-date version of Gentoo and vim (not gvim).  My
 system runs an AMD 64 X2 3800+ CPU and uses a Seagate 200GB harddisk
 (dma enabled). It needs a lot of load to bring the system to its
 knees.

 May be it was "wrong" what I did in the sense of "there are better
 UNIX tools to reformat such a file" or "better commands in vim to
 accomplish this",...

 ...but in a critical moment it may be that I would have lost my work
 (other open applikations) due to the need of killing X.

 Keep editing! ;)
 mcc