On 4/6/07, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I did th3 follwing: With a program, which generates random numbers in
>  different formats, I created a file, which consists of _one_ line of
>  2097152 characters ("0"-"9","A"-"F").
>
>  To split the line into lines of 72 characters each, I started vim and
>  let it read the file.
>
>  I postioned the cursor at position 0 and entered the following in
>  normal mode:

>  Then I did a
>
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  After only 10 or 15 (guessed) executions of the macro the system
>  freezes while constantly swapping (?) and became unuseable and did no
>  longer respond.
>
>  Even the mouse pointer was nearly unmoveable...
>
>  After heavily and constantly trying I managed to kill the X-session
>  and to 'killall -9 vim' from the console to get back my computer.

Hello Meino "the vim killer" Cramer,
I tried your scenario. You need to add 'set ul=-1' to disable undoes, and
'set lz' to disable excess redraws. Even then, vim goes rather slow at
this task.

Indeed, vim grows to >1000MB vm/rss size
size in matter of one minute without ul=-1 (, and growing very fast. )

The thing I find strange here is that values of 'maxmem', 'maxmemtot' were:

   :set mm? mmt?
 maxmem=643272
 maxmemtot=643272

, yet vim grew  past x2.5 times that limits (with default 'ul')
without messages.
Is this expected behaviour ?

Yakov