Zdenek Sekera wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: A.J.Mechelynck [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 April 2007 09:10
To: Zdenek Sekera
Cc: Yakov Lerner; vim@vim.org; Meino Christian Cramer; Bram Moolenaar
Subject: Re: Vim freezes system ?!

Zdenek Sekera wrote:
[...]
Just to add more to the confusion, on my box (RedHat Enterprise
Linux,
512Mb Ram) I have

maxmapdepth=1000
maxmempattern=1000
maxmem=257676
maxmemtot=257676

Which tells me the last two can hardly be in kb and all over I don't
understand what really they mean.

---Zdenek

According to the help, they _are_ in KB and can reach up to two million
(i.e.,
2 gig). I sure wonder according to what Vim sets themat startup.

Why do you think they can't be in KB? The above would mean slightly
over 256
meg, which sounds "reasonable" for a 512MB box (more reasonable at
least, than
the "249 K" which I see).

Arrgh, I guess the batteries in my mental calculator are flat after
Easter vac :-).
But what do these numbers really mean? You are right that mine look
more acceptable than yours. Yours are really strange.

---Zdenek

Maybe there has been an arithmetic wraparound in my case? I have 2 gig of RAM installed, which is slightly /more/ than 2 million KB.

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.