Tom Purl wrote:
Here's what I propose we do:
1. Finalize a tip formatting standard.
2. Use the best available script that supports this standard.
3. Update the best available script if necessary.
4. Revise the standard if necessary.
5. Convert a tips sample.
6. Review the sample and revise the script if necessary.

Good. But to keep our discussion focussed, please do what you
did last time: Put a sample tip on a wiki page so we can agree
on its features. Please take Gene's advice and manually edit the
page to how you think it should look. Once the format is
agreed, we can ask for a script.

I recommend:
- Propose a format for the URL of each tip, as well as
 the format of the page.

- Omit the info box with author, date, tip rating, Vim version.
 It's too hard to maintain, and too intrusive.

- Keep the comments on the tip page, with a very simple
 comment heading in front of each, something like:
 -----By UserName on March 8, 2001 14:51-----

To make it easy to edit the page, the comment heading should be
a single line in the wiki source.

-Or- Put all the comments on the talk page, with the format as
above. However, that seems unnecessarily tricky to do in
practice (it doubles the number of pages we have to work with).

I favour putting the comments in the main page to make it easier
to clean up the tip. When we see a tip with old-style comments,
we would know that it needed an overhaul.

1. Let's use this mailing list to coordinate the project. All comments regarding wiki page format, however, should be
written to the "talk" section of the affected wiki page.

Please be more explicit. Will we use the vim or the vim-dev
list? How can we comment on the wiki page format on the "talk"
section? I think we should use the vim mailing list for all
discussions until a decision (your decision!) is made to
finalise the wiki site, format, and script.

Final suggestion: Please start a new thread (new subject) which
we will follow until everything is finalised, rather than
replying to this.

It would be great if you would consider what I and others have
written, then make a proposal with what you think.

John