Tushar Desai wrote:
I recently did a clean install of Ubuntu 7.04 and also installed all
vim related packages. That got me a gui version of vim (7.0.164/Big
compiled on 2007/03/11).

I now want to compile and install the gui version of vim 7.1. So, I
downloaded the tar-ball for the 7.1 sources to my home dir
($HOME/vim), untarred at ($HOME)/vim/vim71, enabled "CONF_OPT_FEAT =
--with-features=huge" in the src/Makefile. I also did "apt-get
build-dep vim" and finally ./configure followed by make (in
$HOME/vim/vim71).

However, I'm ending up with the "Normal version" of vim and although
"vim -g" pops up a window, it doesn't show the menu and the toolbar.

I tried the same on Fedora Core 6 and got the same results. I tried
vim7.0 on ubuntu and have the same situation. Strangely enough, I was
previously able to compile vim7.0 on my Fedora Core 6 box and it gave
the menu and toolbar. (I don't know what I did right in that case.).

Any idea what I could be happening here?

Thanks,
Tushar.

I suspect your configure step and your make step are setting different options. Here's what I suggest:

1. Undo any changes you made to the Makefile.

2. Paste the following text as $HOME/vim/vim71/myconfig. It doesn't need to be made executable.

#!/bin/bash
export CONF_OPT_GUI='--enable-gnome-check'
export CONF_OPT_PERL='--enable-perlinterp'
export CONF_OPT_PYTHON='--enable-pythoninterp'
export CONF_OPT_TCL='--enable-tclinterp --with-tcl=tclsh8.4'
export CONF_OPT_RUBY='--enable-rubyinterp'
export CONF_OPT_MZSCHEME='--disable-mzschemeinterp'
#export CONF_OPT_PLTHOME='--with-plthome=/usr/local/plt'
export CONF_OPT_CSCOPE='--enable-cscope'
export CONF_OPT_MULTIBYTE='--enable-multibyte'
export CONF_OPT_FEAT='--with-features=huge'
export CONF_OPT_COMPBY='"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"'

3. Edit it (change at least the last line) to reflect your desired settings.

4. Do the following, in bash:

        source myconfig
        cd src
        make reconfig 2>&1 |tee ../config.log

(It is important to "source" the script, not "run" it.) This should re-run configure and proceed to compile. If the configure step suggests that you delete config.cache or something, do it, then repeat the last line above.

5. If the compile proceeds to its end:

        ls -l vim

(if there is a vim executable with a timestamp of a few seconds ago):

        ./vim --version |more

6. If you got the desired "huge" version, you can then

        cd ..
        make install 2>&1 |tee install.log

If you still did _not_ get a "huge" version, inspect ~/vim/vim71/config.log for details of what might have gone wrong.

Q:  How many DEC repairman does it take to fix a flat ?
A:  Five; four to hold the car up and one to swap tires.