On 2007-05-18, David Pike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This will hopefully be an easy question or two...
>
> An upgraded version of vim was installed on our systems recently,
> and some tricks that I'm used to are no longer functional, such as:
> "[a large integer, say N] <up>" to quickly get to the top of the
> file that I am editting, "[N] <down>" to quickly get to the last
> line of the file (similarly, <PageUp> and <PageDown> could be used).
> Also, while part way through a file, "[N] dd" or "[N] d <Enter>"
> was a handy way of deleting all remaining lines in the file.
>
> The new version of vim does not seem to let me do this anymore.
> Specifically, if the N value that I enter (typically 9999) is
> larger than the number of lines involved, then vim now just beeps
> to signal that it won't do what I would like to do.
>
> Is there some easy way of getting vim to accept these commands
> once again?

I just tried this with a new installation of vim 7.1 on Linux and
all of the examples you gave worked for me.  This was true whether I
invoked vim as just "vim" or as "vim -N -u NONE -i NONE".  I suspect
some configuration file in your upgrade has botched this for you.
Try invoking vim as

   vim -N -u NONE -i NONE

as see if it still misbehaves.  It might help us to know the
operating system you are using and the complete output from
"vim --version", too.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Mobile Broadband Division