On 5/22/07, David Nečas (Yeti) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:39:29AM -0600, fREW wrote:
> I just updated to feisty on a samba server machine and a lot of the
> vim defaults went crazy.  For example:  Pressing the Up or Down keys
> in insert mode add new lines with just A or B on them, respectively.

This is what vi does.  Movement is performed by hjkl,
remember?

> That I can live with, but check this out, if I have the following
> sentence:
>
> fREW is a silly guy
>
> and my cursor is on the s, and I press cw, it changes to
>
> fREW is a sill$ guy
>
> and it works just like I had pressed cw and it replaces up the the $
> or if I press escape it only has the new text I put in, but it's just
> so weird!

This is exactly what vi does.  Command cw changes the word
(and does only that), $ marks where it ends.

> Does anyone know where these new changes in Feisty come
> from?

This has been hopefully explained already (vi runs a binary
that really behaves like vi, whereas vim runs something more
featureful -- this common in Linux distros).  Anyway, it's
a bit strange when a vim user describes vi as `crazy' and
`so weird'...

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/

Well, nocompatible is recommended, and since this is a vim list, not
just a vi list, I wouldn't think that it would be strange at all for
people to expect vim (not vi) when they want vim.  Just my two-cents.

-fREW