Henry Throop wrote:
Hi --

I'm having a problem using cut and paste to put text from a VIM document, into a terminal window. It's some sort of character encoding issue. Here's what I do:

o Start up gvim with no file.  I'm using 6.2.
o Type a few characters.
o Copy some material (Apple-C)
o Move to a terminal window
o Paste it (Apple-V)
o Material is pasted, but the encoding is incorrect.

If I cut the phrase 'ABCabc', then what gets pasted is this:

'\344\205\202\344\215\241\346\211\243'

If I paste it into a non-terminal window such as Mail or Textedit, I get Chinese characters.

Copying *from* Textedit to terminal works fine, so I think the problem is something to do with vim.

Can someone point me to what I might have set that's doing this?

Thanks,
-Henry

What happens if you set 'encoding' to "macroman" (the legacy Mac encoding) prior to yanking? If it doesn't work, try UTF-8.

Meader's Law:
        Whatever happens to you, it will previously have happened to
everyone you know, only more so.