Henry Throop wrote:
OK; tried that. Both macroman and utf-8 give me the same results, which are the same as before.

-Henry

On Jun 2, 2007, at 2:50 PM, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

Henry Throop wrote:
Hi --
I'm having a problem using cut and paste to put text from a VIM document, into a terminal window. It's some sort of character encoding issue. Here's what I do:
o Start up gvim with no file.  I'm using 6.2.
o Type a few characters.
o Copy some material (Apple-C)
o Move to a terminal window
o Paste it (Apple-V)
o Material is pasted, but the encoding is incorrect.
If I cut the phrase 'ABCabc', then what gets pasted is this:
'\344\205\202\344\215\241\346\211\243'
If I paste it into a non-terminal window such as Mail or Textedit, I get Chinese characters. Copying *from* Textedit to terminal works fine, so I think the problem is something to do with vim.
Can someone point me to what I might have set that's doing this?
Thanks,
-Henry

What happens if you set 'encoding' to "macroman" (the legacy Mac encoding) prior to yanking? If it doesn't work, try UTF-8.

Meader's Law:
    Whatever happens to you, it will previously have happened to
everyone you know, only more so.

Analysis of the octal values you list seems to indicate that your clipboard is getting Latin1, mistaking it for ucs-2be, and translating it to UTF-8: for instance, \344\205\202 is the UTF-8 bytecode for the U+4142 codepoint.

I think this /might/ be a fixed bug, check the following bug summaries:

http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/README (patches for Vim 6.2 and earlier)
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.3/README
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.4/README
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.0/README
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/README

Or else, boldly install 7.1.002 and see if the problem persists.

Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.