On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 05:10:13PM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Patch 7.1.068
> > Problem: When 'equalalways' is set and splitting a window, it's
> >          possible that another small window gets bigger.
> > Solution: Only equalize window sizes when after a split the
> >           windows are smaller than another window. (Martin Toft)
> > Files: runtime/doc/options.txt, runtime/doc/windows.txt,
> >        src/window.c
> [...]
>
> I guess there's something I don't understand.
>
> Let's say 'equalalways' is set and I've used Ctrl-W _ to temporarily
> make the current window full-size, squashing all windows above and
> below it to 'winminheight' (which I have set to zero in my vimrc).
>
> If I create or delete a window (e.g. with ":split") I would expect
> 'equalalways' to come into play, and redraw all windows to the same
> size (growing small windows and shrinking the current big one and its
> new child).
>
> This is in accord with how I understand the current (2007 Jul 11) help
> for 'equalalways'.
>
> What is wrong in my way of thinking?

I must admit that I was also a bit confused while writing the patch (and
still am).  The documentation for 'equalalways' is straight forward: all
windows are automatically made the same size after splitting or closing
a window.  My patch changes the behaviour of 'equalalways' when
splitting a window, and I therefore changed the documentation for
":split", not for 'equalalways'.

The bug report has apparently been submitted due to one or more people
being annoyed by 'equalalways' making small windows bigger.  I was asked
by Bram to do the patch, as I had just gotten familiar with Vim's window
handling code from writing another patch.

Without the new behaviour introduced by this patch, it is not impossible
to avoid small windows being made bigger by 'equalalways' --
'winfixheight' and 'winfixwidth' can be used for this.  Consequently,
the patch doesn't add anything that wasn't possible before.

I don't know exactly what my opion is about the patch, as I'm not a Vim
power user and I don't know what is the general understanding of
'equalalways' is.  The subject is quite debateable.

Martin