On 9/30/07, A.Politz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am student of computer science.  In the next semester I'll
> have to do some practical work supervised by a professor.
> Now what I really would like to do in this project, is
> giving vim the ability to start and manage subprocesses.
>
> What I have in mind is :
>
>   - Obviously writing the code, that handles the processes
>     (sockets ? ,portability ? ).
>     I would at least want to implement this for *nix.
>   - vim functions to interface with this code.
>
>   - associate process output with a buffer
>   - add a buffer option, which automatically scrolls a
>     buffer to the end
>
>     or/and
>
>   - make its output available via functions and autocommand.

Are you going to use pseudo-tty  (between  parent and child) ?

If no, then be aware you are going to have some problems.

If yes, then how much %% of code overlap with /usr/bin/screen
you are going to have ?

Are you going to have detach/attach functionality a-la screen ?

Are you aware of the existing trick of redirecting output of the
process to the log-file and having vim constantly reread and
show the  bottom of the logile ?

Yakov