A.Politz wrote:

> I am student of computer science.  In the next semester I'll
> have to do some practical work supervised by a professor.
> Now what I really would like to do in this project, is
> giving vim the ability to start and manage subprocesses.
>
> What I have in mind is :
>
>   - Obviously writing the code, that handles the processes
>     (sockets ? ,portability ? ).
>     I would at least want to implement this for *nix.
>   - vim functions to interface with this code.
>
>   - associate process output with a buffer
>   - add a buffer option, which automatically scrolls a
>     buffer to the end
>
>     or/and
>
>   - make its output available via functions and autocommand.
>

> Before I really get started : Does this sound reasonable ?
> I am posting this, to get some opinions and stay out of
> trouble.  Since I will be graded for it, I want to realize
> the "impossibilities" while I can still choose something
> different.
>
> Thanks for any input.

For a new feature to be included in Vim, it should work at least on
MS-Windows, Unix and Mac.  Subprocess stuff should be relatively easy on
Unix and Mac, but MS-Windows can be difficult.  My experience is that it
works for some programs, and my crash Vim for some others.  I even
managed to lockup my system.  That's why Vim currently opens a console
window to run the command in.

So the first thing to work on would be doing this on MS-Windows.  Test
with various native MS-Windows (or even DOS) programs.  After that the
rest would be easy.

Note that I don't like the idea of running a shell in a Vim window.  But
running make in the background would be useful.

--
The Characters and incidents portrayed and the names used are fictitious and
any similarity to the names, characters, or history of any person is entirely