> vim -u NONE
> :help help           " get some text on screen, and statuslines
> :silent :true         " The screen is garbled.

Not for me.

I think the point made earlier was that the docs actually, in the most strict
logical sense, don't say anything about what you need to do if a command
doesn't
output anything. I.e. they say you need Ctrl-L if the command does output
something, but are silent (no pun intended) on whether or not you need a Ctrl-L
if
the command doesn't output anything. However, in English 'if' often really
means
'if and only if', so the logic nitpicking isn't really valid--a phrase such as
'particularly if' or 'and even sometimes if it doesn't' could perhaps make the
documentation clearer--if the behaviour you mention actually is reproducible
elsewhere and not just a bug in a particular version, system or GUI!

Which version/system/GUI are you using?

Ben.