> Sorry to piggyback on this one.
> Even though I do use macros and registers, sometimes I wish there was
> a way to copy the "last command" into a register after the fact. Is
> there?
> I also wish there was an easy way to edit my macros and registers.
> I've resorted to exiting vim, edit .viminfo, and resume editing the
> files again.
> Unfortunately (afaik) the last command is not saved in the .viminfo so
> I can't go and copy it to a register or just edit a long series of
> keystrokes.

Here is a patch to Vim that adds a , register which is basically access to
Vim's
internal 'redo buffer' used when '.' is used. At a quick look, it seems to
work.
You can thus save your '.' commands to another register and replay them later:

:let @a=@,
@a

I believe @, will have pretty much the same functionality as . except that it
won't automatically change the count or the register number like . does (nor
will
this happen if you save to another register, of course).

I wonder what Bram thinks about including this functionality in standard Vim? I
think it would be useful. What do others think?

Also, I haven't tested much. Testing and consequent feedback from others would
be
worthwhile. There may be issues with things not being escaped which should be,
etc.

Ben.