On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:30:54 -0700, "Tyson Roberts"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now that I've given you something of value, why in gods name would you
> want to?  BSD/Allman Style is so much more legible for most code than
> K&R/Kernel Style.
>
> I don't want this to become a brace war argument, but why is K&R preferable?

Because Kernighan and Ritchie are GODS!

I'm used to programming in K&R style, but having been working on the
Vim source for a bit I now find that K&R brace placement looks a bit
odd when I return to my other C sources. But then when I work on my
own code for a while I find Vim's conventions look strange.

For the most part I format my code to be as readable as possible, and
that means choosing different styles according to the demands of the
code. A side effect of this is that I detest languages like Python
that infer code meaning from code formatting. When it comes to
understanding the meaning of code compilers and humans have different
needs, and the requirements of the compiler shouldn't interfere with
the clarity of the source.

I once worked with an Oracle programmer whose formatting style was
"add a line break when I get near the right side of the screen". His
objective was to get as much code on one screen as possible. As far as
I know he was the only person who was ever able to understand his own
code, and everyone else had to reformat it just to work out what was
going on.

--
Matthew Winn