skelker wrote:
> I have noticed that swap file writes are done in 4K blocks, but file
> reads are done in 64K blocks. If it isn't possible to adjust this
> behavior with configuration, then I suggest opening this up as a
> performance issue that could be addressed in future releases of gvim?
> Opening a large file would be much faster if this were changed.  It
> would also reduce disk/file fragmentation.
>
> sk

Swap file writes cannot be delayed, or the swap file would lose its utility:
thus swap file writes happen more often (sometimes much more often) than edit
file read/writes or swap file reads. OTOH, swap file writes are usually
limited to a rather small area at the end of the file. Thus it is essential
for performance (and also to minimize the risk of getting a power-fail halfway
through a swap file write) to keep the swap file buffer as small as reasonably
possible, while the "ideal" size for the edit file (which is always written
/in toto/, but much less often) is quite bigger.

Making the swapfile buffer larger would IIUC not much reduce disk
fragmentation either, since the swapfile is deleted as soon as the
corresponding editfile is unloaded (either to load a different file in its
stead if not using "hidden" buffers, or when "normally" closing Vim).

Best regards,
Tony.
156. You forget your friend's name but not her e-mail address.