On Dec 4, 2007 7:40 PM, Tony Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Regardless, I wonder how much of an issue this really is.  It seems to
> > me that the code is quite optimized

How much of an issue the size of the writes, that is.

> > [1] fsync is a slow operation, especially on a reiser4 file-system.

> On a reiserfs or ext3 filesystem, it is (IIUC) less critical because of the
> way the journalizing filesystem can "repair" when restarting after a failure.

ReiserFS is Reiser3, the predecessor of Reiser4.  I don't understand
why you're saying what you're saying here.  None of these filesystems
can repair anything that isn't in the journal, so you're still not
guaranteed anything.  The journaling in Reiser3 and Ext3 can still
mess up your files.  Reiser4 will, however, guarantee consistent
states (that is, your data will be there or it won't - it won't become
corrupted).  Reiser4 guarantees ACID, in database terms.

Reducing calls to write is at least as critical for journaled
file-systems as any.  More calls means (possibly) more entries in the
log, which will decrease performance and possibly increase chances of
data loss.