On Dec 21, 2007 5:18 AM, Nico Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > 2) There is no algorithm available to programmatically judge the
> > perceived differences between colors that suits our purposes.  We do
> > well with CIE L*a*b*, but not better than the stepping algorithm I
> > proposed first, and in some places drastically worse.  Unfortunately,
> > CIE L*a*b* is only good at measuring the perceived differences between
> > relatively similar colors, where the steps on our color cube are far
> > enough apart that the colors are often not "similar" enough.
>
> Do you know about the Munsell color system (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsell_color_system
>   )? It's a (the?) color system based on perceived colors, so perhaps
> is coul be used for your purpose.

No, I hadn't tried using the Munsell color system, but I had tried
CIEXYZ, CIELAB, CIELUV, and gave a brief glance at CIECAM.  All 4 of
those color systems are designed based on scientific measurements of
perceived colors.  If there were more reasons to try it, I might be
more motivated, but the only disadvantage to my stepping algorithm is
that it can't work if the color palette doesn't follow the same
general format as xterm's...  and every color palette I've found so
far does.

~Matt