>> - Moved from os_mac_conv.c to mac_gui.c and made static to that file:
>>
>>    - mac_utf16_to_enc
>>    - mac_enc_to_utf16
>>    - mac_enc_to_cfstring
>>    - mac_utf16_to_utf8
>>    - mac_utf8_to_utf16
>
> I suppose you had to do this because MACOS_CONVERT is defined.  Can't
> you change vim.h not to define MACOS_CONVERT when building with GTK?

Yeah, you can, but

(1) that doesn't fix it, because os_mac_conv.pro contains prototypes with
Mac-specific types in them for those functions that weren't static in
os_mac_conv.c originally, and

(2) if you undefine that, you lose MacRoman support.

Maybe the better solution would be to assume the types won't change (they
surely
never will!) and use some casts. Since the main problem is os_mac_conv.pro, if
we
can just get the types out of the function signatures, we will be good:

UniChar <=> unsigned short (CFBase.h)
CFStringRef is a pointer type (as are all .*Ref, I believe) so could use void *.

>> - And a preprocessor conditional in globals.h was changed so X headers
>>    aren't expected when they aren't available.
>
> This isn't quite right, Win32 also has the balloon eval functionality.
> And GTK too, so how can you omit this?

OK. I presume it's only a problem when we have Mac headers included, in which
case, we can use !defined(NO_X11_INCLUDES) instead of defined(FEAT_X11) and I
think that will cover it.

> What GTK did you install?

One that MacPorts installs. 2.0.10, I think. Anyone know how I check easily?

>> It would be good to have this or a similar fix in the official distribution.
>
> Only when I'm sure it doesn't break anything.

Yeah. I'm quite unsure myself which is why I wrote so much detail about it and
suggested something 'similar', by which I mean 'something that also works for
me
but probably works better for everyone else too'!

I'll have a fiddle with it and if it works, send a revised patch in a few
minutes.

Ben.