On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:12:24AM +1100, Ben Schmidt wrote:

> > The builtin Escape key already expands abbrevs.  Isn't this like a part
> > of its definition?  If I put <esc> on the right side of a noremap, I do
> > this in order to get this builtin behaviour.
>
> I disagree. If *I* put <Esc> on the right hand side of a mapping I do it to
> get
> the builtin behaviour of 'exit insert mode', not 'change the text in
> user-customised ways and then exit insert mode'.

<Esc> *by default* will trigger an abbr if you're at the end of the
{lhs}.  So it should still do so when using a noremap.  Using one of the
help's examples:

  :ab foo four old otters
  ifoo<Esc>

This will leave you with "four old otters" in the buffer (after the
timeout expires or you press another key).

> But more importantly, if I put something like "iword " on the right hand side
> of a
> mapping, I expect 'word' to be inserted, not expanded as an abbreviation.
> Much
> more important is if I put ':command something' on the right hand side of a
> mapping, I expect ':command' to get executed, not something else that the
> user has
> defined as an abbreviation.

I think the original poster would agree on this.  His contention was
that <Esc> isn't following its normal behavior when used in a noremap
while it does follow normal behavior in a map.

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>