> Q is usually mapped to gq by vimrc_example.vim.

That indeed seems to be the source of the problem!  Thanks, Tony.
When I execute ":unmap Q", the problem goes away and I can replace
selected text with "Q".

Is there a compelling reason why this key-binding exists?  It is very
unintuitive to the casual user.  The casual user doesn't know anything
about key-mappings, much less how to find vimrc_example.vim and remove
this binding.  To such a user, this quaint quality of "Q" is quite
quixotic. :)

--Kevin