hamlen wrote:
>> Q is usually mapped to gq by vimrc_example.vim.
>
> That indeed seems to be the source of the problem!  Thanks, Tony.
> When I execute ":unmap Q", the problem goes away and I can replace
> selected text with "Q".
>
> Is there a compelling reason why this key-binding exists?  It is very
> unintuitive to the casual user.  The casual user doesn't know anything
> about key-mappings, much less how to find vimrc_example.vim and remove
> this binding.  To such a user, this quaint quality of "Q" is quite
> quixotic. :)
>
> --Kevin

I think the reason for this mapping lies in the following paragraph at
the end of ":help Q":

                        Note: In older versions of Vim "Q" formatted text,
                        that is now done with |gq|.  But if you use the
                        |vimrc_example.vim| script "Q" works like "gq".

To override settings set by vimrc_example.vim, don't modify the file
itself, because any Vim upgrade might silently remove your changes.
Rather, I recommend to invoke it (using the ":source" or ":runtime"
commands, q.v.) somewhere near the start of your own vimrc, then
override what displeases you in its settings. For example, here is the
beginning of a sample vimrc similar to mine:

" Settings file for vim and gvim
" force English messages and menus
if has("multi_lang")
        if has("unix")
                language messages C
        else
                language messages en
        endif
endif
" invoke the "example" vimrc, to set many useful settings
runtime vimrc_example.vim
" here come our own customizations, including overrides to the above
filetype indent off
unmap Q

etc.

Best regards,