On 27/03/2008, Nikolai Weibull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Antony Scriven
 > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > > > An interesting twist. Can you clarify which behaviour
 > > > POSIX specifies (your sentence above is ambiguous)?
 >
 > > You're right, sorry. POSIX specifies longest match.
 >
 > /left-most/ longest.  Big difference.

I thought the `left-most' part was a given and we were
discussing which of the alternatives would be subsequently
picked; sorry if I was misleading. In this case POSIX
specifies that the alternative which gives the longest
overall match is picked, whereas backtracking
implementations (like that in Vim) are usually designed to
pick the first alternative that gives an overall match, even
if a different choice would give a longer overall match.
I know you know this already, I'm just trying to be clear!
Now, I'm still not sure I've managed to do that, so please
rephrase my explanation for me if you think it is necessary
:-) --Antony