Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2008-06-10, Ben Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Out of curiosity, why the preference for a few functions with
> parameters, e.g.,

To be honest, I probably prefer the 'many functions' approach. I was
just thinking in terms of not cluttering the Vim function namespace with
functions for a feature that isn't really core to a text editor.

Though for the rounding, there are so many different types and different
names for the different types, that I thought a single function to group
them together made sense.

Still, the chances of an actual name clash are small--if we called a
function by one of those names with a different purpose, it would cause
plenty of confusion, and I guess just another section of :help
function-list is needed.

>    abs(argument)

That's a good thought. Vim should have that one, for ints and floats.
sgn() wouldn't go astray either.

Another that could conceivably be useful would be a random number
function. A low quality PRNG would do just fine. This could be used in
Vim for editing data files for testing purposes, etc.

Ben.