George V. Reilly wrote:

> 2008/6/25 Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> > Patrick Texier wrote:

> >> gvim.exe doesn't run on Windows 98 (Second Edition 4.10.2222.A French):
> >> I have an alert box "Program start error: c:\vim\vim72a\gvim.exe file
> >> needs an Windows newer version. Update your Windows version".
> >>
> >> I will compile it.
> >
> > Bummer.  I intended to this self-installing executable to run on all
> > MS-Windows systems.  Windows 98 should be OK (with some service packs
> > added).
> >
> > I switched to the Visual C++ 2008 express version.  Mainly because it's
> > the simplest to use.  But if it locks out Windows 98 users that's a bit
> > of a problem.  Not sure if it's possible to go back to the 2003 or 2005
> > version now (they are downloads).
> >
> > George, is this a matter of compilation flags, or is the C++ 2008
> > version not able to build for Windows 98?  Or is this a matter of
> > building with an older set of SDK files?
>
> Don't know. It's probably something to do with the C runtime. It may
> be possible to add some additional compile-time flags.

Might be.  I still have the VC 2003 runtime files.  Mainly because I
can't uninstall them (the uninstaller was put in a directory called
"Temp", duh).

> I have a number of virtual machine images at home with all the
> different flavors of VC from VC98 onwards. I'll play around with them
> tonight on my newly resuscitated Win64 box.
>
> (Not sure if I still have a Win9x CD so that I can make a Win9x
> virtual machine.)

I still have them all, back to Windows 3.1 :-).  I mosty get the cheaper
Update version, so I might actually need them (XP is a full version
though, thanks to some friend :-).

> > I also updated the NSIS installer, but I don't think that is relevant.
>
> Speaking of which, how do you actually build gvim72a.exe? I tried to
> build a Vim installer several months ago and gave up in complete
> frustration. My guess was that you had some additional build scripts
> which weren't in the SVN archive.

The instructions are in Makefile in the top directory.  There are no
additional build scripts, but you do need lots of stuff (e.g.,
diff.exe).  Getting them from a previous version might help.  Or using
empty files.

Anyway, it would be very helpful to find out how to build a gvim.exe
that runs on Windows 98 using VC 2008.

--
I AM THANKFUL...
...for the taxes that I pay because it means that I am employed.