George V. Reilly wrote:

> >> Speaking of which, how do you actually build gvim72a.exe? I tried to
> >> build a Vim installer several months ago and gave up in complete
> >> frustration. My guess was that you had some additional build scripts
> >> which weren't in the SVN archive.
> >
> > The instructions are in Makefile in the top directory.  There are no
> > additional build scripts, but you do need lots of stuff (e.g.,
> > diff.exe).  Getting them from a previous version might help.  Or using
> > empty files.
> >
> > Anyway, it would be very helpful to find out how to build a gvim.exe
> > that runs on Windows 98 using VC 2008.
>
> Which version of make do you build this Makefile with? Cygwin?
> Something else?

You're supposed to READ the Makefile.  The instructions are in the
comments.  Most things need manual work, like "open a new console" and
"set environment for XYZ compile".  But you can skip the parts to build
for MS-DOS, Windows 3.1 and Win32s.  It's pretty tough to find a CD with
VC 4.1 anyway :-).

--
>From "know your smileys":
 :.-(   Crying