On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:39 AM, Markus Heidelberg
<markus.heidelb...@web.de> wrote:
>> quick feedback after a cloning of vim_mainline: tons of commits are
>> due to git-svn merged commits and syncing with CVS.
>> could this be avoided ? maybe some commits can be squashed.
>
> Why should I squash only to loose/cripple history? Furthermore squashing
> makes sense for something like topic branches, which are deleted
> afterwards. The git repo is based on the official svn repo. The
> 'git-svn' branch, that is merged into the 'vim' branch, directly
> reflects the svn branch 'vim7.2' and is not a topic branch. A branch
> ('vim') cannot be based on another ('git-svn') when I squash commits. I
> just have to merge.

if I have a look at the gitk visual feedback, I would expect a linear
history (this is how vim evolves).
I see you've a lot of branches in your vim_extended repo, hence a lot
of merge, but most of these merges are actually empty (no difference,
no patch).
So actually the history you're preserving is very complicated and
could be simplified: this is what I meant.

> The reason for all the "git-svn merged" merge commits is that the 'vim'
> branch is not totally equal to 'git-svn'. It contains two additional
> commits, so it can't resolve as a fast-forward merge anymore and
> "git-svn merged" commits are created.

I actually created a vim repo using patches and tarballs only,
avoiding to sync with CVS/SVN for that purpose. I extracted the
dates/timestamps from version.c to mimick what I would get from a
cvs/svn import, and all commits are artificially from Bram.

So the history can be linear there too!

>> I saw just now another post requesting for commit access. Beside the
>> point it's granted with git by default (just clone the repo and host
>> yours somewhere), I would disagree on the push access.
>>
>> why? because the current vim distribution and patch models are based
>> on central approach, not distributed.
>
> This is your argument against push access?
> But giving push access is just that: one central repository for several
> persons, instead of having several repos, each dedicated to one person.

if you're using git (great!), I'd rather stick to a decentralized
workflow than a centralized one.
if you're allowing push access to your public git repo, what stops an
accidental deletion of a branch ?
(remember there's no trace of such deletion, and it's very hard to
recover from it, unless it's your public repo and you're the only one
pushing into it)

> Then we shouldn't use distributed tools at all, because Bram's
> development model is central? That doesn't make sense.

I was not clear: I'd love Bram to move to a distributed model. We can
always use git for forks/experiments and patching/merging/testing.

I'd rather not use git to recreate another central repo: is this clearer now ?

>> (somehow the patches from your repo or other's repo still need to be
>> sent to the original vim repo or to Bram himself)
>
> Maybe, but not necessarily. But I don't understand the relation between
> this statement and the push access or the distributed/central model.
> Well, I don't understand the argument against push access at all.

potential/accidental deletion of branches on your public repo is 1
example (see above).

>> as for the guidelines you mentioned, I think Bram should be involved,
>> shouldn't he ?
>
> Bram hasn't anything to do with theses repositories. The guidelines
> should just cover things like formatting of commit messages, branch
> access, awareness of rewriting history with rebase/commit-amend.

ok, I understand now.

>> or is this some repo you never intend to sync back to
>> vim ?
>
> What gets back into mainline depends on Bram. vim_extended is not fork,
> it just sits on top of Vim.

so I guess it's fine: stick with your workflow and allow push access
if you want :)

--
Christian