On 11/04/09 05:02, Matt Wozniski wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>>> Usually, yes - but lore tells of shells where "test" isn't POSIX
>>> compatible, where "-a" and "-o" don't behave predictably but "&&" and
>>> "||" do...
>>
>> Hm. What about the shells available on the Mac, and in particular on Mac
>> OS X ?
>
> Changing the configure script would change things wherever ./configure
> is used.  And, besides, "it looks prettier" is hardly a reason to
> accept behavior that might be broken somewhere.  If we can agree that
> "test ... -a ..." and "test ...&&  test ..." are functionally
> equivalent, but that the latter might work somewhere the former
> doesn't, it's pretty clear that we should use the latter.
>
> ~Matt

OK. The former may run marginally faster due to the fact that the whole
expression is computed in the same place (even on shells where test
isn't a builtin), but that's hardly a reason to risk an easily avoidable
malfunction.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
The Preacher, the Politician, the Teacher,
        Were each of them once a kiddie.