Ernie Rael wrote:
I wonder what the chances are of getting a new command in vim that does what you want (or perhaps some options for no-window and no-wait). Then the DLL on windows would not be needed.

I've asked myself why Vim's system() function on Windows uses vimrun.exe and shows a command prompt window. The only reason I can think of is so that the user has a chance to quit the external command using Ctrl-C. But strange enough the documentation only guarantees this on UNIX:

        The command will be executed in "cooked" mode, so that a
        CTRL-C will interrupt the command (on Unix at least).

While on UNIX it's dead easy to make system() calls asynchronous, circumventing the "cooked" mode: you can just wrap the external command in ( ... ) & . For what it's worth, I've never been bothered by the fact that I have to kill runaway background processes using a process monitor on UNIX.

 - Peter Odding