Ben Fritz wrote:
Hence, the use of ":!start /min" in the tip John linked you to :-)

It appears I didn't read the linked web page carefully enough, thanks for correcting me Ben. After receiving your message I was still concerned that the /min option would open a minimized command prompt window in the foreground, thereby stealing Vim's input focus anyway. I just checked it though and it works perfectly, well almost anyway, the command prompt window is of course still listed in the task bar.

 - Peter Odding