Many thanks for your replies! I am working at a big corporation and
the IT-powers that be have access to most root level modifications.  I
have read/write permissions on my home directory (/home/myName).
Could I install the vim editor under my directory? If so, any pointers
on what to do? Once downloaded is there a script I can run that'd
perform the installation?

Is this what I should download?
http://www.vim.org/download.php#unix

Thanks again for your help.