I would like to propose a patch which suppresses the conversion of
<NL>  to<CR>  when evaluaation ('\=') is used inside substitute()
function.
Simply this patch is what makes x == y true in the following code.

  let x = substitute('a', '.', "\n", "")
  let y = substitute('a', '.', '\="\n"', "")

Regardless of whether the functionality change of the patch is accepted,
I think there should be a change to :help sub-replace-expression to
explain what is done when \= is used within substitute().

Ben.