Hi,

Kerneels Roos wrote:
> Hi, where should questions like the below be posted? I realize it's
> not a dev question, but for some reason I can't post to the vim use group.

yes, vim_use would be the preferred group.

try a combination of scrolljump and scrolloff:

  set scrolljump=-50
  set scrolloff=1

This will scroll as soon as the cursor enters the top or bottom line.

> What I'm looking for is a global setting or script that would
> immediately shift the visible text vertically so that the line
> containing the cursor is vertically centered the moment you move the
> cursor vertically off the screen.

If you want only want to scroll when the cursor would leave the visible
part, keep scrolloff at its default value of 0:

  set scrolljump=-50
  set scrolloff=0

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)