On 8/3/2011 1:41 PM, Jürgen Krämer wrote:
Hi,

Kerneels Roos wrote:
Hi, where should questions like the below be posted? I realize it's
not a dev question, but for some reason I can't post to the vim use group.
yes, vim_use would be the preferred group.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Auto centering cursor when at top or bottom line
Date:   Wed, 03 Aug 2011 12:11:54 +0200
From:   Kerneels Roos<kerne...@gmail.com>
To:     vim_...@googlegroups.com

Is there a simple way to always have the view port shifted up or down so
that the cursor moves to the center of the screen (vertically) whenever
you reach the top most, or bottom most visible line?
try a combination of scrolljump and scrolloff:

   set scrolljump=-50
   set scrolloff=1

This will scroll as soon as the cursor enters the top or bottom line.

What I'm looking for is a global setting or script that would
immediately shift the visible text vertically so that the line
containing the cursor is vertically centered the moment you move the
cursor vertically off the screen.
If you want only want to scroll when the cursor would leave the visible
part, keep scrolloff at its default value of 0:

   set scrolljump=-50
   set scrolloff=0
Thanks a lot, works brilliantly!
Regards,