Hello Benjamin,

Excerpt from Benjamin R. Haskell:

-- <snip> --
> I concur completely that a team of runtime file maintainers sounds
> better.  Back in January, I started composing an email wondering whether
> having maintainers still made sense as a development model.
> (Personally, I also find it very odd that even after switching to
> Mercurial there are still hundreds of individual patch-files that can be
> obtained via FTP, but that's probably a much broader discussion.)  In
> addition to the issues with maintainership mentioned so far:
>
> - Maintainer might not be responsive, creating more work for Bram and/or
> the maintainer later

..or a random patch submitter.
confirmed.

> - Maintainer can't make Vim-wide changes (like the '&cpo' changes from
> earlier this year)

confirmed.

> My main concerns are that:
>
> - (it seems) Many maintainers are never really all-that committed.

IIRC a maintainer has committed himself to be reachable via email 3  years after
his last change. (I must have read that in vim help somewhere, but need to seek
that out again first where exactly that was).

...but

$ recgrep -c "by Thilo Six" . | grepinvert "0$" | wc -l
28

basically all of those files have been changed last time by their original
maintainer a decade ago!

> Probably similar to the above concerns, but it makes perfect sense.
> Over the past nine years, the main programming language I myself use on
> a daily basis has gone from Perl to C# to PHP and now to Ruby.  It's
> hard to find someone to be a long-term maintainer for {Language X} where
> that user is also well-versed enough in Vim to keep the syntax
> well-maintained.
>
> - Having a maintainer makes bugs last longer, especially for minor bugs.
>
> Since even minor changes have to go through a maintainer, (it seems)
> that changes don't immediately get sent back up to Bram.  Often versions
> seem to linger until there are enough minor updates that the maintainer.

I know currently patches go lost!

--
Regards,
Thilo

4096R/0xC70B1A8F
721B 1BA0 095C 1ABA 3FC6  7C18 89A4 A2A0 C70B 1A8F