* Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@gmail.com> [121023 23:32]:
> ---help                                                       *-h* *--help*
> --h           Give usage (help) message and exit.  {not in Vi}
> +-h           Give usage (help) message and exit.     {not in Vi} *-h*
>               See |info-message| about capturing the text.
>
> +-?                                                   *-?*
> +             Give GTK-specific help, then exit.      {only in GTK versions}
> +             See |info-message| about capturing the text.
> +
> +--help               {not in Vi}                             *--help*
> +             * GTK versions: give both Vim help (as with -h) and GTK help
> +             (as with -?), then exit
> +             * Other versions: same as |-h|
> +             See |info-message| about capturing the text.
> +
> +             Note: If the X11 server is not reachable, both -? and --help
> +             will (instead of the GTK-specific help) give error |E233|
> +             followed by the |hit-enter-prompt|, and start the editor in
> +             the terminal.
> +

That's odd.  I have the GTK2 (not GNOME) version 7.3.547 (Debian
package).  -? gives «unknown option argument: "-?"» for both vim and
gvim (both symlinks to the same executable).  And -h and --help both
give the same help (including GTK+ help) for both symlinks, regardless
of whether or not DISPLAY is set.  (I am not running a GNOME DE.)
Perhaps -? is GNOME-specific, rather than GTK-specific.

I would be inclined to say that giving E233 when no display is available
is a bug, and should be fixed rather than documented, however I'm not
familiar enough with how the GNOME-specific options work to be sure.

...Marvin