On 2013-06-04, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Skeept wrote:

> > > In my opinion, when a user sees a ~/.vimrc he expects it to be used and
> > > would be very surprised when it is skipped.  That is both for existing
> > > Vim users and any generic Unix user.  Far fewer people would know about
> > > the possibility for a ~/.vim/vimrc to exist.
> >
> > I don't remember if the patch discussed in this thread made it vim
> > already...
> > If not is it to late to include for 7.4?
>
> It's under the "slightly incompatible changes" list.
> I'll probably include it, but I wonder if it hurts anyone.

If someone has a ~/.vimrc it won't make any difference.

If someone does not have a ~/.vimrc but does have a ~/.vim/vimrc,
the latter will be sourced now whereas it was not before.

That could happen if someone moved aside their ~/.vimrc for testing
or debugging, or is using ~/.exec instead of ~/.vimrc to share
settings between vim and another vi, or is using EXINIT instead of
~/.vimrc for some reason.

Those are the situations I can think of where this change might take
someone by unhappy surprise.  All are cases where someone is
configuring Vim by unusual means _and_ happens to have a file named
vimrc laying around in their ~/.vim directory.  It they don't like
the new behavior and don't want to change what they're doing, their
only solution is to rename their ~/.vim/vimrc file.

It doesn't seem like a big risk or problem to me, but I can't say
there's no risk.

Regards,
Gary